One of the most important financial decisions you will make.
Here is some information about our team:
The Carswell Team believes that the sale of your home is one of the most important financial decisions you will make. It is important to have proven and reliable information to help you through the entire process.
The Carswell Team has a two step process to help you make the necessary decisions. Step one is visiting your home to discuss your plans and needs and to tour the home. During the tour we will identify the positive features of the house through the eyes of the buyer and begin to develop a plan to promote those features.
Step two involves The Carswell Team doing our homework based on our initial tour of the home, research of comparable sales to include your competition and what has sold in your area. We then meet again to review the findings and to address any questions or concerns you may have.
Step three is coordinating your property photos, measuring the structure and creating the marketing.
Step four is guiding you through the viewing process and then the offer and acceptance process. You will be served by 3 licensed Realtors during this part of the process. Kimberly Rogers will be your daily communication director making sure you know the progress. Kimberly also will go over any inspection reports that you need to review due to a buyer’s request for repairs. Paul and Meredith Carswell will also be in conference with Kimberly along the way to be briefed on details of the day to day activities with your project. All along the way you have 3 licensed Realtors with you in the process of showing, offer and acceptance to make sure all details are in order with your project.
When selecting a real estate team to market your home, it is important to select the team you feel you can trust to give your home as much exposure to buyers as possible. Your team should also have great communication so that you know what is happening at all times with the sale of your home.
Please read our reviews on Zillow and Realtor.com so that you have a reference to what our previous clients think of our service.
Our website is a tool for our sellers and buyers to learn about us and our processes. This is not a home search site because we feel you can find that everywhere. We want our clients to know as much as possible to make their experience the best.
Please let us know what we can add to this site to make your understanding of our team and our processes clear for all to understand. Your thoughts and questions are important to us and will be important to others as well.
Information that makes your property more attractive to a buyer:
If you know the age, type or brand of the following that would be helpful in marketing your property. If you can provide warranties or receipts that is even better.
- Heat System
- AC System
- Water Heater
- Well Pump
- Pool Pump
- Septic Tank or Outgoing Sewer Line
- Please let us know of any other recent improvements made to your property that you think will make it attractive to a buyer.
- If you can send a list of service providers that regularly work at your home and thier contact information that is helpful for the buyer. Many times the buyers want to continue using the providers the previous owner used.
- Who are your utility providers?
- Who is your internet provider?
- What are your average utility bills?
- Do you have a copy of your property survey?
- All of the above information will make it easier for us to market your property to buyers.
Getting ready for your marketing photos and having the best possible outcome when a buyer looks at your home:
Inspections are one of the most overlooked items on this list. Inspections will cost today but save you money and time in the process of selling…..PLEASE TAKE NOTE…we know what we are talking about on this subject from experience:
Get a prelisting home inspection so that you know the issues and price the home appropriately. Allow us to present the home inspection to the prospective buyers along with your receipts from any repairs you made.
Here are several local home inspectors:
- Assurance Home Inspections, Chad Helton 828-292-0778 or email: AssuranceHomeInspectionsNCLLC@gmail.com
- Rominger Home Inspections, Clint & Mandy Rominger 828-292-0981
- Home Inspection Carolina 704-542-6575
Please call a professional pest company to do a free termite check of your home. Termites are plentiful in our area and you usually will not know you have them. You don’t want the buyer to discover termites at their inspection. Also, if you have a bug problem have your house/crawl space/basement sprayed.
- Mow and keep yard watered for the best looking grass.
- Get all weeds out of planting beds and add pine needles or mulch.
- Check your potted plants to make sure they are watered and looking healthy.
- Check all bushes to see if they need trimming.
- Make sure there are no tree limbs touching the roof.
- Clean gutters and downspouts to make sure water is flowing away from the house.
- Check the crawl space or basement to make sure there is no moisture/water/mold.
- Pressure wash sidewalks/deck/house.
Front Door area:
- Wash the door/door frame/windows.
- Add a new door mat.
Remove personal items such as family photos and anything that lets a buyer know who lives in the house. You want the buyer to see themselves living in the home and this is also a personal safety precaution.
- Clear off all personal items on bathroom counters/kitchen counters/office/desks/furniture.
- Rugs make a room look small and are distracting in photos. Remove rugs if possible.
- Never have guns/knives/drugs/expensive jewelry in view. Lock them up.
- Clean all surfaces including baseboards/light fixtures/ceiling fans.
- Vacuum and mop at least once per week if home is occupied.
- Wash all windows Interior/exterior.
- Have carpets professionally cleaned if stained or if you have pets.
- Clean interior of refrigerator/range/microwave
- Home Cleaning, Organizing, Packing: Time Genies/Karen Tonks 828-308-0554
- Tile, Carpet & furniture cleaning, Duct Cleaning, Dryer Vent Cleaning : Heavens Best Services: 704-966-0914
Buyers will open closets. They do not have to be perfect but if you can go ahead and pack out of season clothing and shoes your closet will look larger and you will be ahead on packing to move.
The garage is the best place to store all the boxes and plastic bins that you are packing. Buyers want to see that you are planning to move so go ahead and start packing all the items you don’t need on a daily basis. Minimize what is in your house to make the home look larger and ready for the new buyer. If you are downsizing and you need to get rid of lots of furniture, housewares, accessories, etc I recommend the following non profits:
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore – Check the Habitat ReStore in Hickory for bubble wrap. They often have large rolls at great prices.
- Exodus Works – they are one of the few places that will take a good used mattress and it is given to those in need.
- Resourse Warehouse
- Hospice Home Store
- Most of the above will pick up your home goods so that you can donate with ease.
- Nothing turns a buyer off more than bad odors.
- If you smoke please don’t smoke in the house from this day forward.
- If you have pets you can not smell them because you are used to the odor.
- Strong cleaners or air fresheners are not recommended as it can bother some people coming into your home.
Hire a professional cleaning company to come in and disinfect your home/wash walls/wash all surfaces/clean carpets.
Cleaning & decluttering: Time Genies/Karen Tonks 828-308-0554
The best odor eliminator is a Fresh Air unit. They are expensive but well worth it. We run 2 at all times in our home. Dennis & Jane Gillen are the distributors in our area: 828-234-0107
During photography and showings
- Turn on all lights and lamps. Make sure all light bulbs are working.
- Turn ceiling fans off for photography and on for showings (make sure they are clean)
- Open all blinds and curtains.
- Pets and people should never be in photos. Please leave the house to let the photographer have time and space to make the best photos. Make sure the house is perfect the day the photographer comes or they may have to reschedule and that will cause a marketing delay.
- Please leave the house so that you are not there during showings. Buyers and agents need time to view the home without feeling pressure from owners being present.
During showings please remove your pets, crate or contain for their safety and the people looking at your home. If you have a dog that barks a lot I recommend removing from the property during showings.
Please make sure all gates are locked so that buyers can not go into their space. Buyers needing to see barns and pastures can make special arrangements to see those areas with the a member of The Carswell Team present to ensure the safety of humans and animals.
If you have rooms or closets that will be locked during showings due to items such as gun collections, private files, etc please know that the buyer will need to see these areas at some point if they plan to make an offer.
- Please have someone you trust to check the home weekly to make sure it is secured and clean.
- Turn water off to the house at the cut off valve.
- All utilities need to be on for showings/appraisal/inspections/final walk through.
Please let us know if you have questions. This information is to make your selling experience the best it can be from the first marketing day to closing.